Isn’t wonderful to be together with people that make you a better person.
People that bring out the best in you & vice versa – you just take each other up a notch.
The same can be said about foods.
Tomato, mozzarella & basil must feel this way when they are together.
Here is my favorite way to get these 3 foods together – on a little skewer.
All tucked in on the stick it is easy to pop all three in your mouth in one bite. Then flip the stick around & do it again from the opposite end.
Fantastic! Like having your two best friends also be best friends and all three of you having a glorious time together!
You will want to make these – your best friends will want you to make these.
So let’s get to it…
CAPRESE SKEWERS ala’ My Soulful Home:
- grape or other small tomatoes
- small rounds of mozzarella referred to as “ciliegine”or bite sized pieces cut from a larger cheese
- fresh basil
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt & fresh pepper to taste
- 4″ skewers or long sturdy toothpicks
- wash tomatoes & basil
- slice in half “ciliegine” or cut bite sized pieces of mozzarella
- thread a tomato to the skewer bottom leaving about .5 inch
- add a large basil leaf folded
- add a piece of cheese
- another folded basil leaf
- another cheese
- one more folded basil leaf
- top with a perfect tomato
Trust me, this order on the skewers is the best way to go for the full 3 flavor impact from each end. Tomato, mozzarella & basil in each bite. At the risk of you thinking me bossy…just do it that way, ok?
So we are set on the order, now for a tip on the oil, salt & cracked pepper. Use the best you can get your hands on.
In a recipe as simple as this each ingredient, like every person at a small gathering, must enhance the overall. Dull is dull, mediocre is mediocre….neither has any place on your skewer or at your party!
For an olive oil choose an extra virgin first press. Use a pepper mill to crack your own fresh flakes. Select a salt worthy of the trio. My all time favorite salt is Maldon. Click to read why.
Put together a platter of these this weekend. Invite a few of your finest friends over and take it up a notch together!
What flavors do you love together?
** Kelly **