Today I have a dessert for you using the quintessential fall fruit – the apple. Apples are so versatile in the kitchen. So many recipes come to mind, apple pie, baked apple, pork tenderloin with sautéed apples….the choices are seemingly endless.
I always look forward to making my Cinnamon Apple Cake. It is moist, sweet & just right with tea/coffee or dessert wine after a holiday meal. It is a bit of a twist on the usual apple pie, but carries with it the flavors of the orchard.
Cinnamon Apple Cake ala’ My Soulful Home has a richness & texture much like a cheese cake, so you will bake it in an 8″ springform pan. Want to give it a try?
Here is what you need:
- 1.75 cups sugar divided ( 1.5 & .25 )
- 6 oz block style cream cheese
- .5 cup butter softened
- 1 tp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.5 tp baking powder
- .25 tp salt
- 2 tp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped peeled Gala or Rome apples
Here’s what you need to do:
- pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- beat 1.5 cups sugar, cream cheese, butter & vanilla at medium speed until well blended
- add eggs one at a time blending after each
- in a different bowl mix flour, baking powder & salt
- add flour mixture to creamed mixture at low speed until well blended
- in a small bowl combine .25 cup of sugar & cinnamon
- use 2 TB of sugar mixture, sprinkle over apples & stir
- stir apple mixture into batter
- pour batter into greased 8″ spring form pan
- sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture
- bake 1.5 hr or until top is browned & knife comes out clean
- let cool completely then release from springform pan
- serve with fresh tart whipped cream
I garnished my cinnamon apple cake with sprigs of rosemary tied with twine & those are acorns surrounding it on the plate. Not for eating unless you’ve invited in some squirrels, but looks nice & fall-ish.
Hope you try the cake!
Wishing I could send you a slice right to your inbox,
** Kelly **
Linking up at Savvy Southern Style