Not “a look”, trendy, overly styled or copycat.
Timeless design – timeless decor.
That is what I am after. I have been thinking A LOT about this as I begin decorating my Victorian Farmhouse.
Timeless design – timeless decor.
What does that even mean, Kelly? You might ask…
Well, to me timeless design strikes a balance between old & new, luxurious & lived in and has a touch of the unexpected.
I see Timeless Design in all the rooms on my My Soulful Home – Home Ideas board.
These images & many more are on that board. For sources click thru the images. To follow my board click here.
This is a wonderful time to decorate to achieve a timeless look for your home.
The current movement toward handmade a’la Etsy, favoring genuine materials like Belgian linen, living finishes, like unlacquered brass, the sparkle of chandeliers and the accessibility to antiques makes curating a timeless room or complete home pretty easy.
It may not happen in a day, but if you follow my advice you can create this feel for your home.
Phew, I am so glad I am not decorating in the hey day of avocado, gold & orange! My Grandma had a burnt orange shag carpet that came with a rake. I loved when she let me rake the rug. Getting those rake lines straight gave me such satisfaction. A bit type A, even at six!
Now on to the Steps & my offer…
10 Steps to Timeless Design
- Don’t go with one “look”~ include a few styles in each room.
- Use a mix & high and low items. The high makes the low look better & the low makes the high more accessible.
- Include at least one antique. Doesn’t have to be expensive just have a bit of history & good lines.
- Choose neutrals for the walls and major pieces. Let me dispel the question, gray paint is a neutral and is here to stay. These two are my favorites.
- Use authentic, genuine materials that will last.
- Layer your room. This doesn’t mean 100 toss pillows. Maybe an accent rug over a sisal, woven shades under the drapes, a throw.
- Incorporate books (not backwards on the shelf please!). Pile gorgeous cocktail table books on a table or fill a shelf with vintage books. Learn how to style a book case here.
- Stay clear of the “too precious”. While the bunny might be darling for a week in an Easter display, don’t let it settle for the duration.
- Modernize or be on trend with less expensive accents that you can swap out. Example, don’t spend too much on those antlers!
- Add in something unexpected ~ a pop. Maybe something from your travels – add YOU to the room.
It is that easy! Have a look at a room in your house and see if you have these elements. In corporate a few of my steps and see how the room feels.
I promise if you follow my 10 steps to Timeless Design your room(s) will gain depth, authenticity, personalization & of course style.
Ok, now the offer…
I am thinking of offering a virtual design service to the My Soulful Home community. The thoughts have been churning in my head on how we can connect more deeply & how I can help you design the home you dream of on a budget. (goodness I hate that word, but it is a reality)
If the idea of working with me on a room appeals to you, email me now and you will receive my First 5 for $75 rate.
My first 5 virtual clients get:
- me for 1/2 hour or so on the phone (I am a talker)
- review of room photos & measurements
- an assessment of your room
- a list of suggestions of what to do & sources if needed
All that for $75. My in person clients pay a lot more so don’t tell them!
Email me here.
Be one of the First 5 for $75.
Guess I am not thinking about offering design services ~ I just did it!
Here is to being timeless in our design & otherwise,
** Kelly **
All images click thru to source – these & many many more beautiful timeless spaces are here on my Home Ideas board. Do follow!