“Ice Cream Cake Pie” is the invention of my 11 year old Lara.
I can’t take credit for the idea or most of the preparing. I would have asked her to guest post here with her recipe, but she is in camp this week – so you are stuck with me!
Lara came up with the idea for this decadent dessert to please her sister, who turned fourteen yesterday.
You see, Ava likes, pie crust, not pie filling, cake, but not frosting & chocolate ice cream. This recipe has everything she loves & nothing she doesn’t.
If you like all the things Ava likes, and even if you like all the things she doesn’t like too ~ you will LOVE this Ice Cream Cake Pie
Here is what you need & need to do:
- a pie shell homemade or store bought
- chocolate animal crackers
- chocolate ice cream (vanilla would be awesome too, but don’t make it that way for Ava!)
- chocolate cake mix with necessary ingredients
- whipped cream
- make/bake the pie crust to a light golden brown
- while the crust is baking mix up the cake mix and fill 2 nine inch rounds
- bake cakes
- when cakes are cool cut one in half the long way ( you will use the domed half )
- put animal crackers in a ziplock & smash to small crumbs ( this is fun! )
- add a thin layer of smashed cracker crumbs to the cooled crust
- spoon in & smooth a layer of chocolate ice cream
- sprinkle on another layer of smashed cracker crumbs
- spoon in & smooth another layer of ice cream
- top with cake dome
- pipe whipped cream or lightly spoon whipped cream around the edge
You can make all of the parts of this cake from scratch of course, but we didn’t do that this time. We had a busy day celebrating, so went with a purchased crust & box cake mix. So although very special, this ice cream pie cake didn’t take long to make at all.
We put it in the freezer after preparing, leaving only the whipped cream to the end. When we began dinner I placed the ice cream pie cake in the fridge. It was easy to cut when we were ready to stick in the candles & sing.
Ava knows what she likes & she LOVED this dessert. I think you will too!
Let Lara and I know what you think…
** Kelly **