I did something the other night…
and I am going to do it again…
at least once a week.
Can’t believe I got away with it.
I made one of my family’s favorite meals meatless – served it without a word and they didn’t notice a difference.
Wow, I know I am a real risk taker, huh? Rest assured, I sowed some wild oats & I am still chomping now & again. In the realm of family favorites taking this path was a bit adventurous!
Meatless Burritos Recipe
I made our favorite burrito recipe with Gardein meatless meat. They call it “beefless ground”.
It is gluten free and has 84% less fat than regular ground beef. A 1/2 cup serving delivers 12 grams of protein, 1.5 farms fat, 80 calories, no cholesterol or trans fat. Adds up to a pretty healthy portion.
- one package Gardein beefless ground
- one large can of diced tomatoes
- beans ( optional )
- one small onion diced
- one tablespoon olive oil
- burrito seasoning
- one cup grated cheddar cheese
- four flour tortillas
- guacamole ( optional )
- sauté the diced onion in the oil until translucent
- add in full package of Gardein
- add burrito seasoning & tomatoes
- add optional beans
- cook for 7 – 10 to meld flavors & heat
- grate cheese & prepare guacamole
- fill tortillas & warm in microwave
- garnish & serve
I bet no one will guess your meat is actually meatless. If my carnivores didn’t, chances are really good you’ll go undetected too!
Why Go Meatless
Because it is better for your body and better for the planet.
Better for your body:
- reducing your meat intake just 1 day a week can have a considerable impact on your health. It increases life expectancy while reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer, obesity and diabetes.
Better for the planet:
- the meat industry produces more greenhouse gases than the entire transportation sector combined.
- small steps count and ‘Meatless Mondays’ are a great way to start. If every American ate meatless just 1 day/ week all year it would be the equivalent of taking ½ million cars off the road.
- It takes 1,799 gallons of water to produce just 1 lb of beef. ( it only takes 52.8 gallons to produce 1 lb of Gardein )
Gardein ( garden + protein ) gives us a delicious, easy & healthy way to reduce the amount of meat we eat.
My family is going to go meatless, whether they know it or not, one night a week from now on. It is part of my small changes = transformations plan.
Get more meatless recipes here.
Are you willing to give meatless a try?
** Kelly **
Gardein has sponsored this post and I am so glad they introduced themselves to me! My opinions & recipe are all my own.