Dinner in the summer should involve a grill, fresh local veggies and this summer pasta salad.
Ok, I made it up so I am biased, but it has passed the family test, neighbor test & even scored well with the 13 year old party crowd. I heard more than once at our recent bash, “Mrs. Wilkniss is there more pasta salad?”
I lied …”No sorry 🙁 but so glad you liked it!”
Then I spent the rest of the party near the fridge, hoping they didn’t look inside where I had stashed a giant bowl for our weekend meals.
This summer pasta salad goes with everything, even Starbursts & cupcakes as we learned during the party.
Meat, chicken, sausage or standing alone it is darn good. Easy to prepare & can be made in advance. It gets even better after a few hours or a day in the fridge. Time allows the flavors to meld together beautifully.
“Come on, come on” you say. “Get to it before the summer is over. Tell us the recipe for this stupendous summer pasta salad!”
You want it, really? Did I mention…
bacon is involved? So now you really do want it!
- 1 lb pasta ~ shape of your choice preferably with ridges;
- 1 medium onion chopped;
- 1 red pepper chopped;
- bacon (as much as you want!!) cooked & crumbled;
- olive oil;
- heaping TB spoon of mayo; (please don’t tell my family – they loathe mayo, or so they think…)
- salt ~ (use Maldon Sea Salt read here to find out why)
- chop onion & pepper;
- put water on for pasta;
- cook bacon over low heat – do not discard the bacon renderings (ok, that is a nice word for fat);
- remove the bacon place on a plate – pat with paper towels;
- saute onion & pepper in the bacon pan with, yes…the bacon fat, until the onion is translucent;
- cook pasta until al dente;
- put pasta in a big bowl & while warm mix in mayo;
- lightly swirl olive oil over the bowl & mix;
- fold in sautéed onion & pepper;
- crumble or cut thin short strips of bacon;
- mix in bacon;
- add a pinch of quality salt;
- garnish & serve room temperature.
Well my family certainly enjoys this summer pasta salad. I will find out whether they also enjoy reading my blog if I get flack about the mayo!
What is one of you favorite summer dishes?
** Kelly **
Linking up at: Monday Funday