The whole orange ~ rind & all ~ makes this cake dense, moist & delicious with the tang of marmalade.
Not cloyingly sweet, this cake is perfect for Easter brunch, with tea or even a dessert wine. The glaze adds just the right amount of sweetness for a perfect balance.
Remember that commercial “If I knew you were coming I would have baked a bundt”? What was that for ~ the mix, the pan, the cooking oil? We can ask Don Draper when he is back next week.
In the meantime, you can bake this bundt even if no one is coming. I did! It is special enough for company, and you are special enough for it!
Here is what you need & need to do:
- 1 large navel orange ends trimmed cut into chunks & seeded
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1.25 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2.5 cups flour
- .25 tsp each salt & baking soda
- .5 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar ( for glaze )
- 2 tbs + 1 tsp orange juice ( for glaze )
- cooking oil for the pan
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees & coat a 10 cup bundt pan with cooking oil
- In a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed beat butter & granulated sugar until fluffy
- Beat in eggs
- Whirl orange chunks in a processor or blender until mostly smooth, but not pureed
- Add 1.5 cups of orange to batter & beat until blended
- Add flour, salt, baking soda & powder to bowl & beat until smooth
- Spread batter in prepared pan
- Bake for approx 55 minutes until toothpick comes out almost clean
- Cool for 10 minutes & invert onto plate or rack ~ let cool completely
- Whisk together powdered sugar & OJ ~ drizzle over cooled cake and let glaze set
The cake is very pretty as is with the glaze and all, but if you want to take it up a notch ( of course you do! ) slice up another orange & arrange around the cake.
I also inserted one of the trimmed ends into the center hole. Then drizzled glaze over it & sprinkled with orange zest from the other trimmed end. Waste not want not even works for garnishes!
Hope you decide to try this cake for Easter or just any time you need a bundt in the house. It won’t last long!
If you like what you see go ahead and PIN it ~ I would appreciate it, as would all the bundt cake lovers out there! Here is another cake with fruit (not a fruitcake!!) that I think you will enjoy as well.
Thanks for coming by ~ did I tell you how great it is that you do? Well, it IS!
** Kelly **
Linking up at The Scoop