I know…I know, you have heard it claimed before. “World’s best pizza”, “world’s best coffee”, but really these are the world’s best meatballs!
They are ~ trust me.
Trust me now and you will want to thank me later after you eat them. But no need, happy to share.
The full recipe is ~ meatballs with green-peppercorn sauce, but you can make the meatballs & use any sauce you like.
I suggest a double batch. You will be asked for seconds, I have no doubt, so be prepared! You can always freeze some, if there are any left over. Which there won’t be because these are the best meatballs in the world!
World’s Best Meatballs Recipe
- 2 slices of white bread crusts removed
- 1 cup whole milk
- .5 ground veal
- .5 ground beef
- .5 ground pork
- 1.5 tps coarse salt
- .5 tps pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- .5 cup ricotta
- .5 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- .25 cup olive oil
- soak bread in milk for 10 minutes
- drain the bread, squeeze gently & shred
- in a large bowl combine bread, meats, s & p, cheeses & parsley
- mix well
- roll into golf ball size balls
- cook meatballs in a pan until crispy & cooked through
- store cooked meatballs in a covered dish in a 300 degree oven.
The peppercorn sauce has 11 ingredients, but don’t let that hold you back from trying it. All you really do is pour & simmer, along with a bit of mincing & chopping.
Also, don’t get put off by the liquors involved. You won’t get your guests or kids looped. The alcohol burns off.
You can also leave out the port & brandy. If you do, increase the wine to 1 cup. I have done this when I
took too many nips before pouring in the pot didn’t have the other liquors on hand. The favor loses a bit of depth, but is still wonderful.
Read on for the secret sauce recipe…
- 2 TB olive oil
- 3 shallots minced
- 2 TB Dijon mustard
- 2 TB sherry wine vinegar
- .25 cup brandy
- .5 cup port
- .5 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef or chicken stock
- .5 cup heavy cream
- 2 TB unsalted butter
- 2 TB green peppercorns in brine, drained & crushed
- crush the peppercorn with the back of a large spoon
- heat oil, add shallots & cook to a golden brown
- add the mustard & vinegar – reduce to half
- add brandy & cook 3 minutes over medium heat
- add the wine & port and reduce by half – about 15 minutes
- add stock & reduce by half again – about 20 minutes
- remove from heat
- whisk in cream, butter & crushed peppercorns
Serve meatballs with sauce piping hot over egg noodles.
The next day look into installing a neon sign on your roof “WORLD’S BEST MEATBALLS SERVED HERE”…
** Kelly **
p.s. you know I am just joking…I cook responsibly!