You know, it is ok to be kind to yourself.
It is more than ok really, it is necessary. With all we do, create, fix, organize, arrange, conquer and provide we need a little self inflicted kindness now & again.
I couch it in terms of kindness, not “me time”, as who can argue or feel guilty about being kind. And it doesn’t even have to be specific stretches of time. It can be simply putting yourself first just once in awhile.
If you are still not convinced, think of it this way, a bit of time or just thoughts for myself makes me better able to care for everyone else.
Like the instructions on the airplane, you must “put on your oxygen mask first before assisting small children & others who need assistance“. If you run out of oxygen you are no good to anyone.
Being kind to yourself is your oxygen ….
Here are 5 Ways to be Kinder to Yourself:
1. Spend some time alone and just listen to your own thoughts
2. Go somewhere new – a shop you have wanted to visit, a park across town, jog a new route. Get lost in the exploration ~ not literally of course!
3. Say “no” when that feels right (just because someone asks you to do something doesn’t mean you are obligated)
4. On the flip side, ask for help when you need it
5. Pamper yourself – whatever that means to you – take an long bath, paint your toes a bright color, get a massage
They & it will all still be there needing you when you come back refreshed. So just do it ~ be kind to yourself. Promise? I am going to promise to take my own advice.
One more thing we can all do right now to clear our minds and get ready to be kinder to ourselves…..breathe. More oxygen.
Breathe like you mean it. In through your nose, filling up every bit of your lungs and out slowly through your mouth. Straighten up & breathe this way 8 times. Go ahead do it…
I bet you feel better already.
Are you kind to yourself? Let us know how?
** Kelly **