Funny, despite being a former prosecutor, I am not really one for rules per se.
But sometimes the “rules” can make things much easier.
There are some rules for good reason after all.
This is the case with flower arranging, or taken very seriously, floral design.
Simply following my five essential rules of flower arranging will produce gorgeous arrangements every time.
I guarantee it.
Five Essential Rules of Flower Arranging
Want to create stunning arrangements for any & all occasions and for SOOOO much less than you would pay a florist?
Ok, get your clippers & meet me at the table…
You’ll just need a few things to arrange flowers like a pro every time.
- ( told you this would be easy! )
- floral foam
- serrated knife to cut the foam to fit container
- floral picks with wire ( optional, to sturdy weak stems )
Ok, here we go ~ ready for my 5 rules of floral design?
- Use floral foam ~ Oasis foam rocks
- Pick one WOW flower ~ the $$ bloom, the center of attention
- Vary the texture – leaves, petals, shapes, flat, lacy etc
- Pick flowers of varied sizes – WOW flower biggest, medium and small supporting players
- Create depth ~ by pushing some flowers further into the foam, others seem to spring out of it ~ deep & dimensional
I made six arrangements and nine nosegays, including foam & containers, for under $100 for an event last weekend.
If my volunteer organization had purchased these at a florist they would have been about $50 each for the centerpieces & $20 each for the nosegays. That is $480 conservatively.
Saved $$ and I had a grand time making them. Here are the centerpieces ready to go into my trunk for delivery.
The white peonies were my WOW flower, the hydrangea the theme of the event color.
Each bloom was anchored in Oasis foam in a $.99 container
The Lady’s Mantle, chartreuse filler & pale yellow button flowers worked for texture. Pushed in here & pulled out there create they also created depth.
I am partial to loose arrangements, but loose should not be construed as tossed together.
Following my 5 essential rules of flower arranging let’s you get the lovely loose look ~ by no accident.
And because it is no accident, you can replicate it every time with all different blooms.
You know the rules – go create something beautiful!
And…if you liked this post, I bet you will love my book! My Soulful Home ~ a year in flowers. Get it here.
** Kelly **