We love it.
It is so plain, humble & sometimes even a bit smelly, but we love it…
Burlap ~ “the fabric of our lives” in DIY-land.
It is everywhere & we have done pretty much everything with it.
Now we’re gonna paint it!
It is easy and if you follow my tips you’ll have a lovely textured work of art for the wall in no time.
I am making mine for Lara’s gallery wall in her ‘new’ room.
The new furniture arrangement gives twice as much wall space for her growing collection of vintage & handmade treasures. I hope to add this piece to that collection if she likes it.
- piece of burlap ironed IF necessary
- a frame
- a stapler
- a small/medium paint brush
- something special to go in the frame on top of the burlap (I used a wooden letter)
- cut burlap to fit frame
- staple the edge of the burlap (don’t glue) to back of the frame or a piece of cardboard measured to fit
- paint burlap with light feathery strokes with minimal paint on your brush
- paint up & down and side to side evenly
- if you get blotches dab with a paper towel & continue feathery strokes to even out the paint
- you want to see some of the natural burlap awash in your paint with all the nubby goodness showing through, so don’t cheat & spray paint!
- let burlap dry
- insert painted burlap into the frame
- add your special something to the center of the frame
- finish off the back if you want ( totally optional ~ I won’t tell if you don’t! )
- let dry, hang & admire!
My frame was from a yard sale, the burlap a remnant from another project, the paint, left over and the letter from Michael’s was under a dollar. So this project cost less than $5 for sure…and took under an hour.
Now that is my kind of DIY – and best of all….Lara loves it!
So you have seen the colors & fabrics…oh, and the rug & the duvet…and the pillow I made last week. Now this wall art and some of her vintage treasures, so stay tuned. There is so much more we are planning and then…tab dah…the room reveal!
Stick with me so much more to come from MSH…
** Kelly **